This medication is a muscle relaxant, prescribed as an adjunct to general anesthesia for induction of skeletal muscle relaxation. It is also used for facilitation of management of patients undergoing mechanical ventilation (breathing management); facilitation of tracheal intubation.
Adult: IV- Endotracheal intubation Initial: 50-100 mcg/kg. Maintenance: 10-20 mcg/kg.
Facilitate mechanical ventilation in intensive care: 60 mcg/kg every 60-90 minutes.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of myasthenia gravis, electrolyte disturbances, heart disease, liver or kidney impairment, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid use of this medication in prolonged surgery (neurosurgery).
• Avoid rapid administration; otherwise it may cause high blood pressure and fast heart rate.
High blood pressure and fast heart rate.
• Skin: Rash and itching.
• Gastrointestinal: Increased saliva.
• Respiratory: Respiratory insufficiency, shortness of breath and wheezing.
• Miscellaneous: Skeletal muscle weakness, asthma, flushing, redness and increased eye pressure.
Patient should be given proper airway and respiratory support during the treatment.
Store it in refrigerator and in an airtight container. Do not freeze it.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!