Ozenoxacin cream is an antimicrobial approved by USFDA in December 2017 as an external application to treat impetigo.
Ozenoxacin cream for topical use is prescribed for the external treatment of impetigo in adult and pediatric patients who are 2 months of age and older which is caused by Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Ozenoxacin is found to be effective against certain bacteria which are resistant to currently used quinolones or fluoroquinolones antimicrobial agents.
It works by inhibiting certain bacterial DNA replication enzymes such as DNA gyrase A and topoisomerase IV thereby inhibiting bacterial cell division resulting in antibacterial activity.
Ozenoxacin should not be used in patients with-
Allergy to ozenoxacin
Infants below 2 months of age
Skin Infections other than impetigo
The dose and duration of ozenoxacin treatment depend on the individual patients condition.
The marketed ointment contains 1% of ozenoxacin as the active ingredient.
For treating impetigo:
Adults and children above 2 months of age - Apply externally twice daily for a duration of 5 days.
Ozenoxacin comes as a cream which has to be applied as a thin layer to the affected area of the skin and rubbed gently.
The treatment area should be covered with a gauze bandage or a sterile dressing after ozenoxacin cream is applied.
Discontinue the treatment with ozenoxacin cream if any microbial overgrowth of nonsusceptible bacteria or fungi occurs.
Care should be taken to avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose, groin or genital area. In such cases, the area should be washed with water thoroughly.
If the infection does not subside or if it gets worse consult the physician immediately.
Do not stop using the cream before the advice of the physician even if the symptoms have resolved or improved.
Hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water after applying ozenoxacin cream.
Do not let anyone use the ozenoxacin cream without the approval of the physician.
Do not exceed the number or duration of doses prescribed.
In case of overdose either by accidental intake or applied externally, patients are treated symptomatically as there is no specific antidote.
Store at room temperature at 20°C to 25°C.
Protect from excess heat and moisture.
Keep away from the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!