Information about Oxaliplatin
Generic Name : Oxaliplatin
Pronunciation : ocks-AL-ih-PLAT-in
Latest prescription information about Oxaliplatin. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Trade Names/Brand Names of Oxaliplatin
Why is Oxaliplatin Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an antineoplastic agent, prescribed for colorectal cancer either alone or with other medications.
When should Oxaliplatin not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with severe lung problem and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Oxaliplatin?
Adult: IV Advanced colorectal cancer- with fluorouracil and folinic acid: 85 mg/m2 2 weekly.
How should Oxaliplatin be taken?
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
What are the warnings and precautions for Oxaliplatin?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver problems, blood disorders, nerve disorders, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
• It may cause dizziness, fatigue, balance problems, temporary vision loss, or other vision changes, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Drink plenty of fluids to avoid become dehydrated.
• It may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
• Avoid vaccination.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Reversible Posterior Leukoencephalopathy Syndrome with the following symptoms: headache, confusion, seizures and visual loss. If it is so consult with your doctor.
What are the side effects of Oxaliplatin?
• Most Common :
Peripheral sensory neuropathies, fatigue, decrease in platelet counts, nausea, vomitting and diarrhea.
• Allergy :
Severe allergic reactions.
• Heart :
Low blood pressure.
• Skin :
Hand/foot syndrome, injection site reaction.
• Gastrointestinal :
Vomiting, mouth ulcer, loss of appetite, constipation and abdominal pain.
• Metabolic :
Increased sugar and dehydration.
• Genitourinary :
• Central Nervous System :
Nerve disease and tingling.
• Respiratory :
Cough, difficulty in breathing and hiccups.
What are the other precautions for Oxaliplatin?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Oxaliplatin?
Store the medication as directed by your physician.