General Information on Olsalazine
Generic Name : Olsalazine
Pronunciation : ol-SAL-a-zeen
Latest prescription information about Olsalazine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Therapeutic Classification : Miscellaneous Gastrointestinal Products
Trade Names/Brand Names of Olsalazine
Why is Olsalazine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an anti-inflammatory agent, prescribed for ulcerative colitis. It works by preventing the production of substances that cause inflammation.
When should Olsalazine not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Olsalazine?
Oral: Adult- The recommended dose is 1.0 g/day in two divided doses.
How should Olsalazine be taken?
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Olsalazine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, liver or kidney disease, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may cause unusual bleeding or bruising, sore throat, high temperature, if it so consult with your doctor.
What are the side effects of Olsalazine?
Diarrhea, abdominal pain/cramps, nausea, indigestion, abdominal bloating, vomiting, mouth ulcer and increased blood in stool.
Loss of appetite.
• Central Nervous System :
Headache, sleeplessness, fatigue, drowsiness, lethargy, depression, dizziness and fainting.
• Skin: Rash and itching.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint pain.
• Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection.
What are the other precautions for Olsalazine?
Avoid exposure to sunlight and alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
What are the storage conditions for Olsalazine?
Store it at room temperature.