Information about Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol
Generic Name : Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol
Up-to-date prescription details regarding Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol are provided here.
Pronunciation : nor eth IN drone AS-e-tate and ETH in il ess tra DYE ole
Learn the correct pronunciation of the Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol, understand it's uses, recommended dosages, its indications, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its and its storage instructions.
You will also find a list of the medication's International and Indian brand or trade names, as well as its pricing information. For verification of the information presented on this page or for additional clarifications, it's advisable to consult your doctor.
ICD Code : Y42.4
Therapeutic Classification : Oral Contraceptives
Trade Names/Brand Names of Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol
International- Loestrin 24 Fe.
Why is Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol Prescribed? (Indications)
This combination medication is prescribed for preventing pregnancy in women who use oral contraceptives.
When should Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with blood clotting problems, suspectable pregnancy, breast cancer, endometrial, cervical, or vaginal cancer, heart problems, migraines, uncontrolled high blood pressure, undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease or tumors, coronary artery disease, diabetes with vascular involvement and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
Take one tablet by mouth at intervals not exceeding 24 hours, exactly as directed by your physician.
How should Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as directed by your physician. This medication can be administered without regard to meals.
What are the warnings and precautions for Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, gallbladder problems, migraines, heart, liver, or kidney disease, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, bleeding problems, mental illness, lupus, high blood calcium levels, dark skin patches, involuntary movements, varicose veins, seizures, hereditary angioedema, before puberty, obesity, endometriosis, abnormal mammogram, vaginal bleeding, who are taking other medications, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It should not be used in children.
• Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• It does not stop the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) to others, avoid sexual contact.
What are the side effects of Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
• Most Common - Headache, vaginal candidiasis, upper respiratory infection, nausea, menstrual cramps, breast tenderness, sinusitis, vaginitis (bacterial), abnormal cervical smear, acne, urinary tract infection, mood swings, weight gain, vomiting, abnormal bleeding from the uterus, hypertension.
• Genitourinary - Irregular periods, vaginal bleeding, painful menstruation, amenorrhea (absence of menstruation).
• Respiratory - Sudden closure of a pulmonary artery (pulmonary embolism), angioedema (swelling under the skin), severe reactions with respiratory and circulatory symptoms.
• Cardiovascular - Heart attack.
• Central Nervous System - Cerebral hemorrhage (bleeding from a ruptured blood vessel in the brain), cerebral thrombosis (blood clot in a cerebral artery or vein), mesenteric thrombosis (blocks blood flow in the mesenteric veins), retinal thrombosis (blockage in the blood flow to the retina), inflammation of a vein.
• Hypersensitivity - Rash.
• General - Abdominal pain, gallbladder disease, benign liver tumors, cholestatic jaundice.
What are the other precautions for Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
Store at room temperature (25°C).
Last Updated : August 11, 2022