This medication is synthetic oral progestin, used for the treatment of secondary amenorrhea (absence of periods for a few months but patient is not pregnant), endometriosis (the tissue that lines the inner wall of the uterus is found at other sites), and abnormal uterine bleeding due to hormonal imbalance. It induces secretory changes in the endometrium. It works by altering the lining of the uterus.
Contraindicated in patients with severe liver dysfunction, undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, porphyria, pregnancy, previous or current blood clot, deep vein thrombosis, and hypersensitivity.
Adult: Oral- The recommended usual dose is 2.5 to 10 mg/day, for 5 to 10 day during the second half of the menstrual period. Endometriosis- 5mg/day for 14days, Max: 15mg/day for 6 to 9 months.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution needed for patients with history of high blood pressure, heart disease, liver impairment, epilepsy, breastfeeding, new onset of migraine-type headache, asthma, kidney impairment, history of clinical depression.
• Most Common:
Headache, breast pain, irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting, stomach/abdominal cramps/bloating, nausea and vomiting, hair loss.
• Genitourinary: Change in sexual interest, changes in menstrual flow, changes in cervical mucus secretion.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, dizziness, mood swings, trouble sleeping.
• Heart: High blood pressure • Liver: Abnormal liver tests, jaundice.
• Eye: Blurred/double vision, loss of vision.
• Skin: Hives, rash, acne, growth of hair on face, increased pigmentation.
• Metabolic: Increase in blood sugar, increased lipids.
• Blood: Increase in blood clots in veins.
Do not smoke while taking this medication.
Oral: Keep this medication in an airtight container, and away from children. Store it at room temperature (below 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Fallot's tetralogy is a rare and complex birth defect of the heart. Babies born with this condition ...
Bubonic plague is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis present in rodents ...
Steroids are miracle drugs but have to be used with caution. Some steroids are illegal to use, ...View All