This medication is a synthetic analogue of ergonovine, prescribed for treating postpartum hemorrhage. It works by increasing uterine contractions.
Contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure due to pregnancy and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Prevention of postpartum hemorrhages- 200 mcg 3-4 times/day in the puerperium for 2-7 days.
IV/IM- Prevention and treatment of postpartum and postabortal hemorrhage- 200 mcg, may repeat 2-4 hourly. Max: 5 doses. Use IV route for emergency only.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth and as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure or blood vessel, heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Most Common:
High/low blood pressure, epilepsy and headache.
• Central Nervous System: Dizziness, hallucinations and ringing in the ear.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, foul taste and diarrhea.
• Heart: Chest pain, palpitations and slow heart rate.
• Respiratory: Nasal congestion and difficulty in breathing.
• Potentially Fatal: Shock.
Avoid excess dosage.
Intramuscular: Store under refrigeration (2-8°C). Protect from light.
Oral: Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!