This medication is an antithyroid agent, prescribed for hyperthyroidism. It works by inhibiting the production of thyroid hormone.
The initial daily dosage is 15 mg. It may be increased upto 60 mg, divided into 3 doses at 8-hour intervals. The maintenance dosage is 5 to 15 mg daily.
Pediatric: Initially, the daily dosage is 0.4 mg/kg, divided into 3 doses and given at 8-hour intervals.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of decrease in blood cells, liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Skin :
Rash, hives, abnormal loss of hair, itching and skin pigmentation.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting and stomach upset.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint/muscle pain.
• Central Nervous System : Tingling, headache, drowsiness, dizziness and fainting.
• Miscellaneous : Loss of taste, swelling and jaundice.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.