This medication is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, prescribed for certain types of glaucoma, either alone or with other medications. It reduces the fluid production in the eye.
Contraindicated in patients with depressed levels of sodium and/or potassium serum levels, in cases of marked kidney or liver disease or dysfunction, brain dysfunction due to liver impairment, long-term administration and hypersensitivity.
PO- The effective therapeutic dose administered varies from 50mg to 100mg 2 or 3 times daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, respiratory problem, overactive thyroid, lung infection, heart disease, hormonal changes, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Central Nervous System:
Fatigue, uneasiness, abnormal sensation, drowsiness and confusion.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and urinary frequency.
• Miscellaneous: Hearing dysfunction, loss of appetite and taste alteration.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°-25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!