This medication is a central nervous system stimulant, prescribed for attention deficit disorders with hyperactivity in children. It is also used to treat obesity along with other medications. It works by affecting the chemicals in the brain and nerves.
Contraindicated during or within 14 days following the administration of monoamine oxidase inhibitors; contraindicated in patients with severe high blood pressure, loss of appetite, overactive thyroid, and hypersensitivity.
Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity:
The recommended initial dose is 5 mg once or twice a day. It may be increased if needed.
For Obesity: One 5 mg tablet should be taken one-half hour before each meal.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of mental illness, heart problems, the blood disease porphyria, seizures, high blood pressure, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may cause sleeplessness, avoid taking during late night.
• Avoid taking large amount of caffeinated beverages while taking this medication.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• It should not be used in children less than 6 years old.
• Heart :
High blood pressure, fast heart rate, palpitations and heart arrest.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, emotion, over stimulation, sleeplessness, tremor, restlessness and headache.
• Gastrointestinal : Diarrhea, constipation, dryness of mouth, unpleasant taste and other gastrointestinal disturbances.
• Hypersensitivity : Hives.
• Endocrine : Impotence and changes in sexual activity.
• Miscellaneous : Suppression of growth has been reported with the long-term use of stimulants in children.
Avoid long-term use and excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (15° to 30°C), keep away from light and moisture.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Birth Control Implant is a long-acting birth control contraceptive inserted into the arm. It is a ...
Mastocytosis is a rare condition marked by accumulation of mast cells under the skin and various ...
Lusutrombopag is used to treat abnormally low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) in adult patients ...View All