This medication is a progestin hormone, prescribed for menstrual problems, breast cancer and prevention of pregnancy. It stops the growth of the lining of the uterus and induces the uterus to produce certain hormones.
Contraindicated in patients with known or suspected pregnancy, breast cancer, liver disease and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended dose is 5 to 20 mg.
IM- 50 – 150mg at 1 – 3 month interval.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the large muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of breast cancer, unexplained vaginal bleeding, abortion, blood clot events, stroke, seizures, migraine, headaches, depression, asthma, diabetes, heart, kidney, or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause dark skin patches.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• Body as a Whole :
Headache, abdominal pain/discomfort, fatigue, backache, painful menstruation and hot flashes.
• Metabolic : Increased weight.
• Central Nervous System : Nervousness, dizziness, decreased libdio, paralysis, facial palsy, tingling and drowsiness.
• Genitourinary : Menstrual irregularities, excess bleeding, breast cancer, unexpected pregnancy, vaginal cyst, infections, increased sexual activity and absence of menstrual cycle.
• Heart : Fainting, fast heart rate, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolus and varicose veins.
• Gastrointestinal : Changes in appetite, jaundice, excessive thirst and rectal bleeding.
• Blood : Anemia and blood disorders.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint inflammation.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing and asthma.
• Skin : Excessive sweating, body odor and dry skin.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!