This medication is an antidiarrheal agent, prescribed for diarrhea. It slows the movement of bowel contents.
Contraindicated in patients with dysentery, intestinal ulcer, children less than 2 years old and hypersensitivity.
Adults: The recommended initial dose is 4mg (two capsules) followed by 2 mg (one capsule) after each unformed stool.
Child- Two to five years: 1 mg three times per day (3mg daily).
Six to eight years: 2 mg two times per day (4mg daily dose).
It comes as a tablet, capsule and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bloody diarrhea, mucus in the stool, fever, bowel problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or tiredness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Most Common :
Nausea, vomiting, constipation and abdominal cramps.
• Skin : Rash, itching and hives.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, abdominal pain, flatulence, indigestion and intestinal obstruction.
• Genitourinary : Urinary retention.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness and dizziness.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Pets can give you diseases. Surprised? You may love your pet but beware! Your pets might be ...
Water is essential to balance body fluids, boost brain function, improve digestion, prevent ...
Drug hypersensitivity is an adverse reaction that occurs due to an interaction between a drug and ...View All