This medication is a lincosamide antibiotic, prescribed for certain types of bacterial infections. It stops the production of essential proteins that block bacterial surveillance.
Adult: PO- Serious anaerobic infections- 500 mg 3-4 times/day.
IV- Serious anaerobic infections- 0.6-1 g 2-3 times/day. Max: 8 g/day.
IM- Serious anaerobic infections- 600 mg 1-2 times/day. Max: 8 g/day.
Topical- Acne- As 2% gel: Apply as directed.
Subconjunctival- Serious anerobic infections- in dose equiv to 75 mg.
It comes in various forms such as injection, syrup, capsules, gel to be taken as directed by a physician.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gastrointestinal disease, liver, kidney problems, any allergy, asthma, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Take full course of treatment.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it will cause secondary infection.
Inflammation of tongue/mouth/colon, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and itching in anus.
• Blood: Decreased blood cell counts.
• Hypersensitivity: Swelling in the extremities.
• Skin: Skin rash, hives and vaginal inflammation.
• Liver: Jaundice and abnormal liver function tests.
• Genitourinary: Elevation of blood urea nitrogen, low output of urine and/or protein in urine.
• Heart: Low blood pressure.
Monitor complete blood counts, liver and kidney functions regularly while taking this medication.
Oral, Injection, Subconjunctival: Store this medication in controlled room temperature (20-25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!