This medication is an atypical antipsychotic, prescribed for schizophrenia.
PO- The recommended starting dose is 1 mg twice daily. The maximum recommended dose is 12 mg twice daily (24 mg/day).
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food twice a day.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, heart, kidney, liver disease, abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG), heart attack, stroke, blood vessel problems, high or low blood pressure, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), suicidal thoughts, diabetes, low blood minerals, decrease in white blood cells, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, diarrhea, difficulty in swallowing, dehydration, alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery sit up or stand slowly while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Monitor complete blood cell counts, blood electrolyte levels, and fasting blood sugar levels regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid becoming overheated; otherwise heatstroke may occur.
• ♦ Patient may develop with increased risk of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: muscle cramps and tremors, fever, symptoms of autonomic nervous system instability such as unstable blood pressure, agitation, delirium, or coma.
• Body as a Whole :
Joint pain, fatigue, muscle stiffness, increased weight.
• Heart : Fast heart rate, low blood pressure.
• Eye : Blurred vision.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, dry mouth, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort.
• Infections : Upper respiratory tract infection.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, drowsiness, movement disorders, tremor, lethargy.
• Genitourinary : Ejaculation failure.
• Respiratory : Nose block, difficulty in breathing.
• Skin : Rash.
♦ • Metabolic: Increased level of blood glucose, weight gain, abnormal amount of lipids in blood.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature ( 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!