This medication is a sympathomimetic agent, prescribed for mydriasis, and mild heart failure. It acts on alpha receptors as an agonist.
Oral: Severe heart failure, phaeochromocytoma (tumor of adrenal gland tissue).
Ophthalmic: Angle-closure glaucoma.
Adult: PO- Mild heart failure- 100-200 mg 2-3 times/day. Ophthalmic- Mydriasis- As 2% solution: Instill as directed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth with or without food.
It also comes as eye drops to instill into the affected eyes.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, over active thyroid, sugar, elderly, prostate disorders, abnormal heart rhythm, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Heart :
Palpitations, fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, slow heart beat and low blood pressure.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, fainting, anxiety, fear, restlessness, sleeplessness, confusion, irritability, headache, weakness and psychotic symptoms.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.
• Eye : Dilatation of pupil.
• Genitourinary : Difficulty in urination and urinary retention.
• Metabolic : Sweating increased salivation and increased sugar.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container.