This medication is an antihyperlipidemic agent, used to treat obesity, blockages in blood vessels by reducing the cholesterol level and triglyceride level in blood, for patients at risk of pancreatic disease.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity, severe liver or kidney dysfunction, gallstones, newborns, children, pregnancy and lactation.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 600 mg, twice daily before meals.
This medication is available in the form of tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken twice a day, on an empty stomach. (Take ½ hr before meals.)
• Causes of secondary hyperlipidaemia (excess level of lipids) such as hypothyroidism (insufficient production of thyroid hormone) and diabetes must be treated before initiating therapy.
• It may cause kidney failure, blood disorders.
• The drug should be tried out for 3 months. If there is no difference in the serum lipid levels, it should be stopped.
• It may increase risk of gallstones.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with underactive thyroid, any allergy, and who are taking other medications.
Abnormal heart rhythm.
• Central Nervous System: Fatigue, vertigo and headache.
• Skin: Different types of skin swelling and rash.
• Eye and ENT: Blurred vision.
• Gastrointestinal: Upset stomach, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, constipation and acute appendicitis.
• Genitourinary: Impotence.
• Blood: Decrease hemoglobin level, decrease in the number of white blood cells, bone marrow incomplete development of a tissue or organ abd high concentration of eosinophils.
• Liver: Elevated Liver functions and jaundice.
• Metabolic: Mild high blood sugar.
• Miscellaneous: Muscle pain or weakness, inflammation of the skeletal muscles, rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle and taste perversions.
Monitor liver functions, kidney function, cholesterol, and complete blood counts while taking this medication.
Oral: Store below 30°C. Store it in an airtight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!