This medication is an antiviral agent, prescribed for cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis (eye infection that can cause blindness) in people who have received organ or bone marrow transplants. It prevents the spread of CMV virus.
IV: The recommended initial dosage is 5 mg/kg (given intravenously at a constant rate over 1 hour) every 12 hours for 14 to 21 days. Maintenance: 5 mg/kg over 1 hour once daily, 7 days per week, or 6 mg/kg once daily, 5 days per week.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. It also comes as a capsule to take by mouth.
• Avoid rapid or bolus (large amount) administration.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of mental illness, epilepsy, kidney or liver disease, eye problems, decrease in blood counts, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid any vaccination, alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• Body as a Whole: Fever, chills, infection, enlarged abdomen, weakness, chest pain, edema, headache, injection site inflammation, uneasiness and pain.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting, abnormal liver function test, mouth ulcer, constipation, indigestion and eructation.
• Blood: Decrease in all types of blood cells.
• Respiratory: Increased cough and difficulty in breathing.
• Central Nervous System: Abnormal dreams, anxiety, confusion, depression, dizziness, dry mouth, sleeplessness, epilepsy, drowsiness, abnormal thinking and tremor.
• Skin: Hair loss and dry skin.
• Eye and ENT: Abnormal vision, taste perversion and ringing in the ear.
• Metabolic: Changes in liver enzymes and weight loss.
• Heart: High blood pressure, inflammation of vein and dilatation of blood vessels.
• Genitourinary: Kidney failure, abnormal kidney function and urinary frequency.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint/muscle pain, leg cramps and muscle weakness.
It may lead to poor blood clot, avoid injury or bruising.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C to 30°C) and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!