Galcanezumab-gnlm is prescribed for the preventive treatment of migraine in adults.
Galcanezumab-gnlm is a humanized monoclonal antibody that acts by blocking a certain chemical called calcitonin gene-related peptide to decrease the migraine attacks and the frequency of the headache.
Galcanezumab-gnlm should not be used in patients-
• If there is an allergy to galcanezumab-gnlm
• Children below 18 years of age
Extreme caution is required when galcanezumab-gnlm is given to pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers to prevent harm to the babies.
• The recommended initial dose is 240 mg given as two injections of 120 mg of galcanezumab-gnlm as a loading dose.
• The loading dose is followed by 120 mg of galcanezumab-gnlm given once a month.
• Galcanezumab-gnlm comes as a single dose prefilled pen or syringe which should be given as a subcutaneous injection or just under the skin.
• The injection can be given in the upper arm, thigh, abdomen, and buttocks avoiding areas where the skin is tender, red, bruised, or damaged.
• The prefilled syringe of galcanezumab-gnlm should be allowed to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before giving the injection.
• If a dose of galcanezumab-gnlm is missed, take the missed dose as soon as possible.
• Then take the following dose one month after taking the last dose of galcanezumab-gnlm.
The most common side effects of galcanezumab-gnlm are-
• Breathing difficulty
• Injection site reactions
Inform the doctor immediately if any severe side effects occur.
• Do not recommend galcanezumab-gnlm to another person even in the presence of similar symptoms and signs of migraine. The use of galcanezumab-gnlm requires doctor's approval.
• The doctor should be informed if the patient is taking or has a plan to take any prescription, Over-the-Counter (OTC) drugs, or herbal supplements to avoid dangerous drug side effects.
• Store the galcanezumab-gnlm prefilled syringes or pen in a refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C.
• The prefilled pen or syringes of galcanezumab-gnlm can be used for up to 7 days if it is stored at room temperature in its original carton.
• Once kept out of refrigerator do not place it inside the refrigerator again.
• Never shake or freeze the galcanezumab-gnlm prefilled syringe.