This medication is an anticonvulsant, prescribed for postherpetic neuralgia, and epilepsy.
In adults with postherpetic neuralgia, neurontin therapy may be initiated as a single 300-mg dose on day 1, 600 mg/day on day 2 in divided doses and 900 mg/day on day 3 in divided doses.
Patients > 12 years of age: The effective dose of neurontin is 900 to 1800 mg/day and given in divided doses (three times a day) using 300 or 400 mg capsules, or 600 or 800 mg tablets. The starting dose is 300 mg three times a day.
It comes as a tablet, capsule, and syrup to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of depression, suicidal thoughts, kidney impairment, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children especially less than 3 years old, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully.
• Monitor liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Body As A Whole :
Fatigue, increased weight, back pain, swelling in the extremities, weakness, infection, headache, accidental injury and abdominal pain.
• Heart : Dilatation of blood vessels.
• Gastrointestinal : Indigestion, dry mouth or throat, constipation, increased appetite, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and flatulence.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and fracture.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, dizziness, incoordination, night blindness, tremor, nervousness, memory loss, depression, abnormal thinking and twitching.
• Respiratory : Runny nose and cough.
• Skin : Abrasion, itching and rash.
• Metabolic : Swelling in the extremities, weight gain and increased blood sugar.
• Genitourinary : Impotence.
• Eye and ENT : Blurred vision, eye inflammation, double vision and ear infection.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at 25°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!