This medication is a serotonin 5-HT1 receptor agonist ("triptan"), indicated for treatment of acute migraine in adults. It works by narrowing the blood vessels in the brain.
Do not use in patients with heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver or kidney impairment, migraine, paralysis and cluster headache within 24 hours after the use of ergotamine derivative.
PO- The recommended dose is 2.5 mg, as single dose, taken orally with fluids.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, liver or kidney impairment, stroke, diabetes, high cholesterol level, children, pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may significantly increase blood pressure. Monitor blood pressure level regularly
• Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils,etc . If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Most Common:
Dizziness, tingling, headache, dry mouth, fatigue, flushing, hot or cold sensation and chest pain.
• Body as a whole : Pain, weakness, chills, fever and uneasiness.
• Central nervous system : Bad sensation, migraine aggravation, vertigo and speech disorder.
• Gastrointestinal : Vomiting, increased salivation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, difficulty in swallowing, flatulence, constipation and loss of appetite.
• Psychiatric: Sleeplessness, anxiety, confusion, nervousness, agitation, impaired concentration, depression, emotional instability, amnesia and abnormal thinking.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle/joint/back pain, leg cramps, muscle weakness and involuntary muscle contraction.
• Respiratory : Inflammation of sinuses and nose, pharynx, larynx and difficulty in breathing.
• Eye : Abnormal vision, eye pain and inflammation of conjunctiva.
• Skin : Increased sweating, itching and blisters.
• ENT : Ringing in the ear, ear ache and taste perversion.
• Heart : Palpitation, fast heart rate and abnormal ECG.
• Metabolic : Thirst and dehydration.
• Genitourinary : Increased urinary frequency.
• Blood : Nosebleed.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature 25Â°C, and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!