This medication is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, prescribed for high blood pressure, heart failure and preventing kidney failure. It works by relaxing blood vessels.
Contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to this medication or to any other angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.
Adult: PO- HTN Initial: 10 mg/day at bedtime. Maintenance: 10-40 mg once daily.
Heart failure- Initial: 10 mg once daily. Max: 40 mg once daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, on an empty stomach (1 hr before meals).
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of stroke, recent heart attack, kidney transplant, autoimmune disease, low blood volume, liver or kidney diseases, poor blood supply, low level of minerals in blood, hypersensitivity, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery, and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with serious life threatening allergic reactions; if it so consult with your doctor.
• Drink adequate fluid because it may lead to dehydration, excessive sweating, vomiting or diarrhea.
• Most Frequent: Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, cough, headache, diarrhea and elevated liver enzyme level.
• General: Chest pain, edema, weakness and excessive sweating.
• Heart: Heart attack, stroke, high/low blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm, palpitations, fainting, flushing and burning pain.
• Skin: Hives, rash, photosensitivity and itching.
• Metabolic: Gout and decreased sexual activity.
• Gastrointestinal: Inflammation of pancreas/liver, difficulty in swallowing, abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation, heartburn, appetite/weight change and dry mouth.
• Lymphatic: Abnormally enlarged lymph nodes.
• Allergic Reactions: Life threatening allergic reactions.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint/muscle pain and muscle cramps.
• Central Nervous System: Memory disturbances, tremor, confusion, mood changes, tingling, sleep disturbances, drowsiness and vertigo.
• Respiratory: Asthma, inflammation of pharynx/sinus/nose/larynx, hoarseness and nosebleed.
• ENT: Ringing in the ear, vision disturbances, taste disturbances and eye irritation.
• Genitourinary: Kidney impairment and urinary frequency.
Monitor blood pressure, sugar level, blood electrolyte levels, heart or kidney or liver function regularly while taking this medication.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25 -30Â°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!