This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression and anxiety. It is also used for obesity and eating disorders.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking MAOIs, pimozide, thioridazine and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose range is 20 - 80 mg/day.
It comes as a capsule and solution to take by mouth, with or without food once or twice a day.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, heart, liver or kidney problems, stomach bleeding, sugar, metabolic problems, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may develop increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: agitation, confusion, hallucinations, coma, fever, irregular heartbeat, tremor, excessive sweating, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
• Body as a Whole :
Headache, weakness, flu syndrome and fever.
• Heart : Dilatation of blood vessels.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dry mouth, indigestion, constipation, flatulence and vomiting.
• Metabolic : Weight loss.
• Central Nervous System : Sleeplessness, nervousness, anxiety, drowsiness, dizziness, tremor, decreased sexual interest and abnormal thinking.
• Respiratory : Yawn.
• Skin : Increased sweating, rash and itching.
• Special Senses : Abnormal vision.
Rarely it may cause prolonged, painful erection, if it so consult with your doctor.
Do not take more than recommended dose.
Store at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!