Information about Fluoxetine
Generic Name : Fluoxetine
Up-to-date prescription details regarding Fluoxetine are provided here.
Pronunciation : floo ox' e teen
Learn the correct pronunciation of the Fluoxetine, understand it's uses, recommended dosages, its indications, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its and its storage instructions.
You will also find a list of the medication's International and Indian brand or trade names, as well as its pricing information. For verification of the information presented on this page or for additional clarifications, it's advisable to consult your doctor.
ICD Code : Y49.2
Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Fluoxetine
Prozac, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra
Why is Fluoxetine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression and anxiety. It is also used for obesity and eating disorders.
When should Fluoxetine not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients who are taking MAOIs, pimozide, thioridazine and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Fluoxetine?
Adult: PO- The recommended dose range is 20 - 80 mg/day.
How should Fluoxetine be taken?
It comes as a capsule and solution to take by mouth, with or without food once or twice a day.
What are the warnings and precautions for Fluoxetine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, heart, liver or kidney problems, stomach bleeding, sugar, metabolic problems, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may develop increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: agitation, confusion, hallucinations, coma, fever, irregular heartbeat, tremor, excessive sweating, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
What are the side effects of Fluoxetine?
• Body as a Whole :
Headache, weakness, flu syndrome and fever.
• Heart :
Dilatation of blood vessels.
• Gastrointestinal :
Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dry mouth, indigestion, constipation, flatulence and vomiting.
• Metabolic :
• Central Nervous System :
Sleeplessness, nervousness, anxiety, drowsiness, dizziness, tremor, decreased sexual interest and abnormal thinking.
• Respiratory :
• Skin :
Increased sweating, rash and itching.
• Special Senses :
What are the other precautions for Fluoxetine?
Rarely it may cause prolonged, painful erection, if it so consult with your doctor.
Do not take more than recommended dose.
What are the storage conditions for Fluoxetine?
Store at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C).
Schedule : H
Prescription drugs - Drugs to be sold only under the prescription of a Registered Medical Practitioner.
Last Updated : August 11, 2022