This medication is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class, prescribed for major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, or panic disorder(significant behavioral change). It increases the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.
Concomitant use with or within 2 weeks of MAOI (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) withdrawal along with pimozide, hypersensitivity to escitalopram or citalopram.
Oral- DepressionObsessive compulsive disorder(persistent obsessions or compulsions), AnxietyPanic disorder(significant behavioral change)- Adult: 10 mg once daily, increased if necessary. Max: 20 mg daily. Elderly: Half the adult dose. Liver impairment: Dosage adjustments may be required.
It comes as a tablet and a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day with or without food.
• Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medication.
• It may increase risk of suicidal thoughts or action in children, teenagers, and young adults. So closely watch patients who are taking this medication.
• Escitalopram and a medicine called citalopram have the same active ingredient. Do not take Escitalopram if you are also taking citalopram.
• Use this medication with caution in elderly; children, pregnancy and breast feeding patients.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: restlessness, diarrhea, fast heart beat, incoordination, nausea, vomiting. If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
Nausea, diarrhea, increased appetite, taste disturbances.
• Central Nervous System: Sleeplessness, fatigue, drowsiness, unusual excitement, confusion.
• Heart: Fast or irregular heartbeat, postural hypotension.
• Genitourinary: Impotence, ejaculation disorder.
• Eye and ENT: Inflammation of the Para nasal sinuses, seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist (hallucinating).
• Miscellaneous: Increased sweating, weight gain, fever, and severe muscle stiffness.
Do not stop the medication suddenly; withdraw gradually.
Oral: Store at 25°C. Store it in air tight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!