This medication is an antithrombotic agent, prescribed for the treatment of patients with acute coronary syndrome (heart condition), and those undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (angioplasty), and stenting (placing of a cylindrical device within vessels). It prevents platelets in the blood from sticking to each other.
Contraindicated in patients with increased risk of bleeding disorders, brain disorders, history of stroke, uncontrolled hypertension, severe injury, severe kidney impairment, recent major surgery, breastfeeding.
Intravenous- Unstable angina(acute coronary syndrome)- Adult: 180 mcg/kg via IV injection followed by 2 mcg/kg/minute by IV infusion for up to 72 hours. If percutaneous coronary intervention is performed during therapy, infusion should be continued for 18-24 hours after procedure, up to a max total duration of 96 hours of therapy.
It will be administered as an injection at a hospital.
• Discontinue in case of serious uncontrolled bleeding, or if emergency surgery or thrombolytic (drugs are used in medicine to dissolve blood clots) therapy is required.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with liver impairment, platelet counts <100,000 mm3; bleeding in the eye, drugs affecting blood, pregnancy.
• Check aPTT [activated partial thromboplastin time or ACT(activated clotting time) prior to sheath removal during angioplasty.
• It may lead to severe kidney impairment, inflammation of blood vessels, bleeding in the eye, acute pericardial inflammation ( inflammation of the covering of the heart)or aortic dissection (splitting of the layers of the aorta leading to formation of outpouchings).
• Allergic Reactions:
Easy bruising or bleeding, pink or red-colored urine, black stool, coffee-ground vomit, one-sided weakness, vision problems, confusion, slurred speech.
• Heart: Low blood pressure.
• Blood: Reduced platelets, cerebral, GI, and lung bleeding, acute profound thrombocytopenia, fatal bleeding events.
• Local: Overall incidence of major bleeding, major bleeding.
Monitor complete blood counts, serum creatinine levels regularly.
Storage: Store at 25 °C. Store it in airtight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!