Elosulfase alfa is used for treatment of an inherited rare disorder called mucopolysaccharidosis. In this condition an enzyme is missing and Elosulfase alfa replace this missing enzyme.
Elosulfase alfa is prescribed for patients with Mucopolysaccharidosis type IVA (MPS IVA; Morquio A syndrome). This is an inherited disorder in which the body lacks the enzyme needed to break down the long chains of sugar molecules that are called mucopolysaccharides and found throughout the body. Mucopolysaccharidosis is a rare disorder
Elosulphase alpha should not be used in patients:
• If there is an allergy to the previous dose of Elosulphase alpha
• Children below 5 years of age
• People with sleep apnea
• People with serious lung infections
Elosulphase is taken by injection into the vein containing for MPS. Each vial contains 5 mg/5 ml.
Best to consult your doctor if such a situation occurs.
• It is given once every week as an intravenous infusion over 3.5 to 4.5 hours.
• The dose is calculated basing on body weight. It should be given as 2mg/kg body weight.
• The infusion should be given in a hospital setting.
• Elosulphase injection should be used immediately after dilution.
• Infusion of Elosulphase alpha should be completed within 48 hours from the time of dilution.
• Pretreat with antihistamines (with or without antipyretics) 30-60 minutes before initiating infusion is required to prevent severe allergic reactions.
• Caution is required in patients who more prone to allergic reactions.
• Consult your doctor immediately in case of rash, abdominal pain, vomiting, breathing problems and skin discoloration (cyanosis), cough, chest pain.
• In case of allergic reactions, immediately stop the infusion and treat with anti-histaminic, steroids and antipyretics (medicines to reduce fever).
• Evaluation of respiratory tract and its airway function and patency should be considered prior to initiation of treatment with Elosulphase.
• Patients with sleep apnea should be careful while taking this infusion.
• Patients using oxygen or continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) during sleep should have various treatment options readily available during infusion.
• Tell your doctor immediately if there are any symptoms of spinal cord compression like back pain, loss of movement in any part of your body or loss of bowel or bladder control.
• Risks and benefits should be considered in case of re-administering Elosulphase following a severe allergic reaction.
• Morquio A Registry is available in order to understand the variability and progression of the disease and to monitor and evaluate the long-term treatment effects of elosulphase.
• This registry also monitors the effect of elosulphase on pregnant women, nursing mothers and their offspring.
• Patients are encouraged to enroll into this registry for a long term follow up.
Caution is needed in pregnancy as it can lead to stillbirths.
Caution is exercised for breastfeeding women
The diluted product can be stored for up to 24 hours at 2°C to 8°C followed by up to 24 hours at 23°C to 27°C (73°F to 81°F).
Elosulphase alpha may interact with vitamins and herbs
Do not freeze or shake elosulphase infusion. It should be protected from light
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!