• Disodium hydrogen citrate is a urinary alkalinizer used for the treatment of renal tubular acidosis, to prevent uric acid and cysteine stones, and in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
Disodium hydrogen citrate is a urinary alkalanizer.
It is used for the following conditions:
• Renal tubular acidosis (a condition where the blood is acidic due to a kidney problem)
• To prevent uric acid and cysteine stones in people predisposed to form the stones in the urinary tract
• To treat uterine tract infection, though evidence for the same has not been established
Disodium hydrogen citrate should not be used in the following conditions:
• Allergy to the drug
• High blood pressure (since it contains sodium)
• Fluid accumulation in the body (called edema)
• Metabolic derangements like high osmolality or increased alkalinity of the blood, low blood calcium levels
• Kidney dysfunction
• The usual dosage of the syrup in adults is 15 to 30 ml two to three times a day.
• Take after a meal on a full stomach.
• Drink plenty of water while on the medication.
• Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking the medication.
• Digestive tract: Diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bleeding from the stomach or intestines
• Blood: Low blood potassium levels, metabolic alkalosis (increased alkalinity of the blood)
• Others: Increased urination, tiredness
• The liquid forms of the drug contains sugar, it is advised to use with caution in diabetes patients
• Since disodium hydrogen citrate makes the urine alkaline, it may increase the elimination of acidic drugs like salicylates and barbiturates through the urine, thus reducing their effects
• It may increase the blood sodium levels especially when taken with drugs like corticosteroids.
• Use with caution with diuretics like furosemide since it can cause metabolic disturbances.
• It should be used stored at room temperature, keep it out of the reach of children
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
True vertigo is a severe form of dizziness that is a movement hallucination. Try out some of these ...
Oxidative stress is a form of injury to body tissues due to increase in free radicals. If the ...
Graviola's health benefits range from curing headaches to fighting cancer. Read on to know more ...View All