• Disodium hydrogen citrate is a urinary alkalinizer used for the treatment of renal tubular acidosis, to prevent uric acid and cysteine stones, and in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
Disodium hydrogen citrate is a urinary alkalanizer.
It is used for the following conditions:
• Renal tubular acidosis (a condition where the blood is acidic due to a kidney problem)
• To prevent uric acid and cysteine stones in people predisposed to form the stones in the urinary tract
• To treat uterine tract infection, though evidence for the same has not been established
Disodium hydrogen citrate should not be used in the following conditions:
• Allergy to the drug
• High blood pressure (since it contains sodium)
• Fluid accumulation in the body (called edema)
• Metabolic derangements like high osmolality or increased alkalinity of the blood, low blood calcium levels
• Kidney dysfunction
• The usual dosage of the syrup in adults is 15 to 30 ml two to three times a day.
• Take after a meal on a full stomach.
• Drink plenty of water while on the medication.
• Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking the medication.
• Digestive tract: Diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bleeding from the stomach or intestines
• Blood: Low blood potassium levels, metabolic alkalosis (increased alkalinity of the blood)
• Others: Increased urination, tiredness
• The liquid forms of the drug contains sugar, it is advised to use with caution in diabetes patients
• Since disodium hydrogen citrate makes the urine alkaline, it may increase the elimination of acidic drugs like salicylates and barbiturates through the urine, thus reducing their effects
• It may increase the blood sodium levels especially when taken with drugs like corticosteroids.
• Use with caution with diuretics like furosemide since it can cause metabolic disturbances.
• It should be used stored at room temperature, keep it out of the reach of children
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Collagen plays a crucial role in glowing skin, strong nails and shiny hair. You can boost collagen ...
CRISPR technology is a simple but potent tool for editing any part of the genome (complete set of ...
FDA recently approved Mogamulizumab-kpkc, a human monoclonal antibody prescribed for adult ...View All