Information about Demeclocycline
Generic Name : Demeclocycline
Pronunciation : DEM-e-kloe-SYE-kleen
Latest prescription information about Demeclocycline. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y40.4
Therapeutic Classification : Antibiotics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Demeclocycline
Why is Demeclocycline Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a tetracycline antibiotic, prescribed for certain bacterial infections. It stops the bacterial growth.
When should Demeclocycline not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Demeclocycline?
Adults: Usual daily dose - Four divided doses of 150 mg each or two divided doses of 300 mg each.
For children above eight years of age: Usual daily dose, 7 to 13 mg per kg body weight per day.
How should Demeclocycline be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
What are the warnings and precautions for Demeclocycline?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver impairment, diabetes, any allergy, who are taking this medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Monitor liver function, kidney function, complete blood cell counts, and blood sugar regularly while taking this medication.
What are the side effects of Demeclocycline?
• Gastrointestinal :
Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, inflammation of the tongue, difficulty in swallowing, intestinal inflammation, and inflammatory lesions.
• Skin :
Rashes, redness of the skin, pigmentation, sensitivity to light.
• Genitourinary :
Acute kidney failure.
• Hypersensitivity :
Hives, swelling in the face and neack, shock, lung infection with eosinophilia.
• Blood :
Anemia, decrease in platelets and white blood cells.
• Central Nervous System :
Dizziness, headache, ringing in the ear, stroke and visual disturbances.
What are the other precautions for Demeclocycline?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Demeclocycline?
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°-25°C).