Information about Cyclosporine
Generic Name : Cyclosporine
Up-to-date prescription details regarding Cyclosporine are provided here.
Pronunciation : sye' kloe spor een
Learn the correct pronunciation of the Cyclosporine, understand it's uses, recommended dosages, its indications, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its and its storage instructions.
You will also find a list of the medication's International and Indian brand or trade names, as well as its pricing information. For verification of the information presented on this page or for additional clarifications, it's advisable to consult your doctor.
ICD Code : Y43.4
Therapeutic Classification : Immunosuppressants
Trade Names/Brand Names of Cyclosporine
Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune
Why is Cyclosporine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an immunosuppressant, prescribed for prevention of organ rejection during transplantation. It is also used for psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and uveitis. It works by suppressing the immune system.
When should Cyclosporine not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Cyclosporine?
Adult- PO- The recommended initial dose range is 10 to 15mg/kg/day. Maintenance: 2 to 6mg/kg/day.
How should Cyclosporine be taken?
It comes as a capsule and suspension to take by mouth. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
It also comes as eye drops to instill into the affected eyes.
What are the warnings and precautions for Cyclosporine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with liver, kidney, brain or nerve problems, changes in blood mineral and cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, cancer, gout, infection, recent vaccination, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• ♦ Patient may develop with increased risk of Nephrotoxicity, skin cancer; wear protective clothing during outdoors.
• Avoid vaccination during the treatment period.
• This medication may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
• ♦Avoid eating Grapefruit or drinking Grapefruit juice while taking this medication.
What are the side effects of Cyclosporine?
• Most Common :
Kidney dysfunction, tremor and high blood pressure.
• Heart :
• Skin :
Abnormal growth of hair over the body surface.
• Central Nervous System :
Convulsions and headache.
• Gastrointestinal :
Overgrowth of gums, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, liver damage and abdominal discomfort.
• Autonomic Nervous System :
Tingling and flushing.
• Blood :
Decrease in white blood cells and cancer in lymph nodes.
• Respiratory :
• Miscellaneous :
Breast enlargement in males.
What are the other precautions for Cyclosporine?
Monitor blood sugar regularly while taking this medication.
What are the storage conditions for Cyclosporine?
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.
Last Updated : August 11, 2022