This medication is a macrolide antibiotic, prescribed infections of the middle ear, tonsillitis, throat infections, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, and skin infections. It stops the growth of sensitive bacteria.
♦Contraindicated in patients allergic to the drug, pregnant women, patients with history of acute porphyria, QT proongation, jaundice or liver dysfunction and those taking other drugs that may interfere with clarithromycin such as terfenadine, astemizole or ergot alkaloids.
Adult: PO- Respiratory tract infections; Skin and soft tissue infections; Susceptible infections- The recommended dose is 0.25gm twice daily, up to 0.5gm twice daily for severe infections, for 7-14 days.
Mycobacterium avium complex infections With other antimycobacterials:The recommended dose is 500 mg twice daily.
Leprosy- As part of multi drug therapy:The recommended dose is 0.5gm/day.
H. pylori infection with another antibacterial and either a proton pump inhibitor or H2 antagonist:The recommended dose is 0.5gm twice daily for 7-14 days.
Topical- Apply once daily to washed and dried areas for maximum of 15 minutes initially and increase the exposure gradually.
It comes as a tablet, and a liquid to take by mouth. Take the regular tablet and liquid two times per day, the long-acting tablet one time per day with food.
• This product may contain tartrazine dye. This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients.
• Long-term or repeated use of this medication should be avoided.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, resistance to other drugs of the same group, pregnancy, lactation, children.
• Most Common:
Nausea, diarrhea, abnormal taste, stomach upset, abdominal pain and headache.
• Central Nervous System: Mood changes, tremor, dizziness, confusion, seizures, sleeplessness, hallucinations, nightmares, tinnitus (abnormal sounds within the ears).
• Liver: Liver inflammation with or without jaundice, increase in liver enzymes.
• Metabolic: Low sugar.
• Heart: QT prolongation, abnormal heart rhythm.
• Genitourinary: Kidney damage.
• Miscellaneous: Fever, flu-like symptoms, blisters, itching, allergic reactions, hearing loss, secondary intestinal infection.
Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes .
Intravenous: Store at 15-25°C. Store the tablets at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture. Do not refrigerate the oral solution.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Encephalocele is a birth defect where a sac like protrusion of brain and covering membranes occurs ...
Bronchopulmonary dysplasia or chronic lung disease of infancy is seen in premature and low birth ...
Ear, nose and throat are important organs and disease in one area can affect the others. ENT ...View All