This medication is a diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure and fluid retention. It helps the kidney to get rid of unwanted water and salt from the body into the urine.
Adult- HTN- The recommended initial dose is 25mg/day. It may be increased.
Edema- Initiation: Initially 30 to 60 mg daily or 60 mg on alternate days.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of sugar, gout, heart, kidney, liver, thyroid disease, elderly, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn easily.
• Monitor liver function, kidney function and electrolytes regularly while taking this medication.
• Gastrointestinal :
Loss of appetite, gastric irritation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, constipation, jaundice and inflammation of pancreas.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, vertigo, tingling, headache and visual defect.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Skin : Bruising, photosensitivity, rash, hives and cell death in blood vessels.
• Heart : Low blood pressure.
• Others : Increased sugar, sugar in urine, muscle spasm, weakness, restlessness and impotence.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container. Keep out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!