Information about Chlorothiazide
Generic Name : Chlorothiazide
Pronunciation : klor oh thye' a zide
Latest prescription information about Chlorothiazide. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y54.5
Therapeutic Classification : Diuretics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Chlorothiazide
International- Chlotride, Diuril.
Why is Chlorothiazide Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a thiazide diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure and fluid retention caused by various conditions.
It helps the kidney to get rid of unwanted water and salt from the body into the urine.
When should Chlorothiazide not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with anuria and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Chlorothiazide?
The usual adult dosage is 500 mg to 1000 mg (10 mL to 20 mL) once or twice a day.
The usual pediatric dosage is 5 mg to 10 mg per pound (10 mg/kg to 20 mg/kg) per day in single or two divided doses.
How should Chlorothiazide be taken?
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Chlorothiazide?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gout, kidney or liver problems, sugar, asthma, thyroid problems, high blood cholesterol, low blood pressure, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may lead to photosensitivity.
What are the side effects of Chlorothiazide?
• Body as a Whole :
• Heart :
Low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal :
Inflammation of pancreas, jaundice, diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, constipation, gastric irritation, nausea and loss of appetite.
• Blood :
Anemia and decrease in white blood cells.
• Hypersensitivity :
Respiratory distress, lung swelling, photosensitivity, fever, hives, rash and bleeding.
• Metabolic :
• Musculoskeletal :
• Nervous System/Psychiatric :
Fainting, tingling, dizziness, headache and restlessness.
• Genitourinary :
• Skin :
Redness, hair loss and skin inflammation.
• Special Senses :
Blurred vision and distortion in color vision.
• Genitourinary :
What are the other precautions for Chlorothiazide?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Chlorothiazide?
Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
Schedule : G
Drugs that are to be used only under medical supervision.