This medication is a thiazide diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure and fluid retention caused by various conditions. It helps the kidney to get rid of unwanted water and salt from the body into the urine.
Contraindicated in patients with anuria and hypersensitivity.
The usual adult dosage is 500 mg to 1000 mg (10 mL to 20 mL) once or twice a day.
The usual pediatric dosage is 5 mg to 10 mg per pound (10 mg/kg to 20 mg/kg) per day in single or two divided doses.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gout, kidney or liver problems, sugar, asthma, thyroid problems, high blood cholesterol, low blood pressure, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may lead to photosensitivity.
• Body as a Whole :
• Heart : Low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal : Inflammation of pancreas, jaundice, diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, constipation, gastric irritation, nausea and loss of appetite.
• Blood : Anemia and decrease in white blood cells.
• Hypersensitivity : Respiratory distress, lung swelling, photosensitivity, fever, hives, rash and bleeding.
• Metabolic : Electrolyte imbalance.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle spasm.
• Nervous System/Psychiatric : Fainting, tingling, dizziness, headache and restlessness.
• Genitourinary : Kidney dysfunction/inflammation.
• Skin : Redness, hair loss and skin inflammation.
• Special Senses : Blurred vision and distortion in color vision.
• Genitourinary : Impotence.
Avoid excess dosage.
Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Birth Control Implant is a long-acting birth control contraceptive inserted into the arm. It is a ...
Mastocytosis is a rare condition marked by accumulation of mast cells under the skin and various ...
Lusutrombopag is used to treat abnormally low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) in adult patients ...View All