This medication is an effective sedative and hypnotic agent, prescribed for insomnia. It works by depressing the central nervous system.
Contraindicated in patients with marked liver or kidney impairment, heart disease and hypersensitivity.
Adult- Hypnotic- The recommended dose is 500 mg to 1 g, taken 15 to 30 minutes before bedtime or surgery.
Sedative – The recommended dose is 250 mg 3 times/day after meals.
Child- Hypnotic- The recommended dose is 50 mg/ kg/day as a single dose.
It comes as a capsule, oral liquid to take by mouth with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of throat inflammation, ulcer, blood disorder, depression, suicidal thoughts, alcohol abuse, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Central Nervous System :
Excitement, tolerance, addiction, mental illness, drowsiness, staggering gait, incoordination, lightheadedness, fainting, dizziness, nightmares, uneasiness, mental confusion and hallucinations.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and increased eosinophilia.
• Skin : Allergic skin rashes including hives, redness and inflammation.
• Gastrointestinal : Gastric irritation, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, diarrhea, and unpleasant taste.
• Miscellaneous : Rarely headache, hangover and idiosyncratic syndrome can occur.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15°-30° C) and in an airtight container, keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...
LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood is a form of type 1 autoimmune diabetes that can be ...
Sleep paralysis is a condition where one feels unable to move (paralysis) or speak either when ...View All