Information about Canagliflozin
Generic Name : Canagliflozin
Latest prescription information about Canagliflozin. Learn its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Therapeutic Classification : Antidiabetics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Canagliflozin
Why is Canagliflozin Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an antidiabetic (sodium glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor), prescribed for type 2 diabetes mellitus along with diet and exercise. For patients with type 2 diabetes along with diabetic kidney disease, physicians should consider using an SGLT2 inhibitor when the eGFR is at or above 30, especially with albuminuria above 300 mg/g, to lower renal and CV risk as per A.D.A recommendations.
When should Canagliflozin not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney impairment, ESRD, or on dialysis and known hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Canagliflozin?
PO- The recommended initial dose is 100 mg once daily.
How should Canagliflozin be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, should be taken before the first meal of the day.
What are the warnings and precautions for Canagliflozin?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Monitor kidney functions, potassium levels regularly while taking this medication; correct hypovolaemia (decreased blood volume) in patients with kidney impairment, the elderly and in patients with low systolic blood pressure.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of genital mycotic infections and increased LDL; if it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
What are the side effects of Canagliflozin?
• Most Common : Female genital mycotic infections, urinary tract infection and increased urination.
• Gastrointestinal : Increased thirst, constipation, nausea and vomiting.
What are the other precautions for Canagliflozin?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Canagliflozin?
Store at 25°C.