General Information on Bifonazole
Generic Name : Bifonazole
Pronunciation : Bi-Fo-na-zole
Latest prescription information about Bifonazole. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Therapeutic Classification : Antifungals
Trade Names/Brand Names of Bifonazole
International- Bifon, Bilmitin 1%, Canesten Bifonazole, Mycosporan
Overview of Bifonazole
Why is Bifonazole Prescribed? (Indications)
Bifonazole is used for the treatment of fungal skin infections like ringworm including jock itch and athlete’s foot.
Bifonazole interferes with the synthesis of the cell membrane of the fungi.
When should Bifonazole not be taken? (Contraindications)
• Bifonazole is contraindicated in patients allergic to the drug or other similar antifungals.
• It should also not be used for nappy rash
in babies, or during pregnancy and breastfeeding in women.
What is the dosage of Bifonazole?
• Bifonazole 1% cream, powder, solution or gel is applied on the affected are once daily at night for 2-3 weeks.
How should Bifonazole be taken?
• Before applying the cream, wash and dry the infected area.
• After applying the cream, wash your hand to prevent the spread of infection.
• If your symptoms do not improve within seven days, visit the doctor.
What are the warnings and precautions for Bifonazole?
• Bifonazole is for external use only. It should not be inhaled.
• Do not bring the cream in contact with your eyes or mouth.
• This preparation is not used for the treatment of other fungal infections, such as vaginal thrush or nappy rash.
What are the side effects of Bifonazole?
What are the other precautions for Bifonazole?
• Consult your doctor before using bifonazole.
What are the Drug Interactions of Bifonazole?
• Use with caution in patients on warfarin
due to a possible increase in INR (a blood test to check the effect of warfarin).
What are the storage conditions for Bifonazole?
• Bifonazole should be stored at room temperature below 30°C.
Last Updated : 11/16/2017