This medication is an oral antineoplastic agent, prescribed for cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL, a type of skin cancer), lung cancer, breast cancer and Kaposi's sarcoma. It inhibits growth of cancer cells.
Contraindicated during pregnancy and in patients with known hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended initial dose is 300 mg/m2/day.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, once a day with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of severe liver, kidney diseases, high cholesterol, thyroid problems, sugar, gall bladder disease, alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• Most Common :
Underactive thyroid, headache, weakness, rash, anemia, nausea, infection, swelling in the extremities, abdominal pain, dry skin, diarrhea, fatigue/lethargy, liver function test abnormalities, muscle spasm and confusion.
• Body as a Whole : Chills, chest pain, sepsis and yeast infections.
• Heart : Bleeding, high blood pressure, heart failure, fainting and fast heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, dry mouth, flatulence, intestinal inflammation, indigestion, gum inflammation, liver failure and blood in stool.
• Blood : Eosinophilia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Metabolic : Increased level of blood cholesterol and sugar and changes in weight.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain, muscle pain and bone pain.
• Central Nervous System : Depression, agitation, incoordination, stroke, dizziness, sensory loss and nerve disease.
• Respiratory : Inflammation of pharynx, lung, difficulty in breathing, lung infection, increased cough, lung swelling, blood-stained sputum and oxygen deficiency.
• Skin : Skin ulcer, pimples, hair loss, skin scar and normal drainage from a healing wound.
• Eye and ENT : Dry eyes, eye inflammation, ear pain, ear infection and visual defect.
• Genitourinary : Blood in urine, urinary incontinence, urinary tract infection, urinary urgency, painful urination, abnormal kidney function and breast pain.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at 2°-25°C.