This combination medication is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Amlodipine belongs to a class of medications called calcium channel blockers. It works by relaxing the blood vessels so the heart does not have to pump hard. Benazepril is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. It works by decreasing certain chemicals that tighten the blood vessels, so blood flows more smoothly. It widens blood vessels and improves blood flow.
♦ Contraindicated in patients with history of severe kidney problems, angioedema. It should not be co-administered with angiotensin receptor blockers, ACE inhibitors in patients with diabetes.
PO- The recommended dose is one capsule containing amlodipine 2.5-10 mg and benazepril 10-40 mg- once daily. Combination of amlodipine beslate and benazepril hydrochloride is available in the following strength 2.5/10 mg, 5/10 mg, 5/20 mg, 5/40 mg, 10/20 mg and 10/40 mg.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, blood vessel problems, blood flow problems, bone marrow problems, kidney problems, kidney transplant, vascular disease, bone marrow suppression, low blood counts, narrowing or hardening of the arteries of the brain, dehydration, low blood volume, low blood pressure, diabetes, who are receiving kidney dialysis, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Monitor blood potassium levels, blood pressure, and kidney function regularly while taking this medication.
• Inform your doctor if you are allergic to amlodipine (Norvasc), benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), fosinopril (Monopril), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), trandolapril (Mavik), or any other medications.
• Most Common :
Cough, headache, dizziness, fluid retention.
• Body as a Whole : Swelling of the hands, feet, ankles or lower legs, fever, chills, flu symptoms, weakness, fatigue.
• Central Nervous System : Sleeplessness, nervousness, anxiety, tremor, and decreased libido.
• Skin : Flushing, hot flashes, rash, yellowing of the skin or eyes, skin nodule, and skin inflammation.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, nausea, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, and esophagitis.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells.
• Metabolic : Decrease in blood potassium, anemia and reduced number of platelets.
• Musculoskeletal : Back pain, muscle, joint pain, and muscle cramps.
• Respiratory : Throat inflammation.
• Genitourinary : Sexual problems such as impotence, and increased urination.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at 25°C. Excursions permitted to 15-30°C. Protect from moisture. Dispense in tight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!