This medication is an antidote, prescribed for excessive bleeding caused by fibrinolytic drugs. It may also be used in some other conditions to stop excessive bleeding e.g.abruptio placentae, bleeding after delivery etc.
Bleeding due to disseminated intravascular coagulation. Rapid IV administration.
PO- Treatment and prophylaxis of haemorrhage- Initial: 4-5 g, then 1-1.25 g hourly, usually up to 8 hour or until bleeding has been controlled. Max: 30g/24 hour.
Patients with haemophilia undergoing dental extraction- Initial: 6 g immediately after extraction, then 6 g 6 hourly for up to 10 days.
IV- Treatment and prophylaxis of haemorrhage- As 2% solution: Initial: 4-5 g over 1 hour, then continuous infusion of 1 g/hour for usually up to 8 hour or until bleeding is controlled. Max: 24 g/24 hour
It is available as a tablet, syrup and an injection.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of urinary tract bleeding, skeletal muscle disease, neonates, veno-occlusive hepatic disease (small veins in liver are blocked)or kidney disease.
• Monitor creatinine phosphokinase level regularly.
• Avoid administration with factor IX complex concentrates and during pregnancy and lactation.
Slow heart rate, low blood pressure, peripheral ischemia and thrombosis.
• Central Nervous System: Dizziness, headache, delirium, hallucinations, confusion, intracranial hypertension, stroke and loss of consciousness.
• Skin: Rash and itching.
• Eye and ENT: Ringing in the ear, decreased vision and watery eyes.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and vomiting.
• Genitourinary: Bladder obstruction due to clot, increased blood, urea, nitrogen and renal failure.
• Blood: Decrease in white blood cells, thrombocytes and coagulation disorder.
• Respiratory: Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, nasal congestion and blood clot in lungs.
• Miscellaneous: Injection site reaction, pain and necrosis, muscle pain, inflammation of your skeletal muscle, myopathy , edema,allergic and anaphylactic reactions and uneasiness.
Avoid sudden position changes to prevent low pressure.
Injection: Store at 15-30ï¿½C. Store it in airtight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!