General Information on Amifampridine
Generic Name : Amifampridine
Pronunciation : am” i fam' pri deen
Latest prescription information about Amifampridine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Trade Names/Brand Names of Amifampridine
Why is Amifampridine Prescribed? (Indications)
Amifampridine is prescribed for treating muscle disorders such as Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome (LEMS) among adults. This is a rare autoimmune disease.
When should Amifampridine not be taken? (Contraindications)
1. Hypersensitivity to Amifampridine or Aminopyridine
2. History of seizures
What is the dosage of Amifampridine?
The recommended initial dose is 15 mg to 30 mg daily in divided doses (3 to 4 times daily).
Starting dosage is 15 mg daily for patients with renal impairment, hepatic impairment.
The dose can be raised by 5mg every 3 to 4 days. The maximum single dose is 20mg.
How should Amifampridine be taken?
Amifampridine is available as a 10mg tablet to be taken orally.
Missed a Dose?
In case of missing the dose, patients should not take double or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Amifampridine?
1. General: Paresthesia, headache
2. Gastrointestinal: Nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation
3. Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection
4. Vascular: Hypertension
5. Muscles and Joints: Back pain, muscle spasms
6. Miscellaneous: Asthenia and cataract
What are the other precautions for Amifampridine?
1. Seizures: Amifampridine can cause seizures. Discontinue or reduce dose reduction in patients who have a seizure while on treatment.
2. If a hypersensitivity reaction like anaphylaxis occurs, the drug should be discontinued.
3. Liver enzymes may get increased. So frequent monitoring of liver function tests is recommended.
4. May harm developing fetus, if taken by pregnant women.
What are the Drug Interactions of Amifampridine?
Amifampridine will interact with:
Drugs that lower seizure threshold
Drugs with cholinergic effects including direct or indirect cholinesterase inhibitors
What are the storage conditions for Amifampridine?
Tablets: Store at room temperature 20-25o C
Excursions permitted from 15°C to 30°C
Last Updated : 2/15/2021