Almotriptan is prescribed to treat a headache caused due to migraine attacks with or without aura, a perception or sensitivity to light, strange noise, and unpleasant smell with confusing thoughts.
This medication is a triptan results in the contraction of blood vessels surrounding the brain and also stops the release of substances that activates the pain.
Do not administer in patients with heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver or kidney impairment, migraine, paralysis and cluster headache within 24 hours after the use of ergotamine derivative.
PO- Initial: The recommended dose is 6.25-12.5 mg, may repeat 2 hour later if needed. Max: 2-doses/24 hour.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of hypersensitivity to sulfonamides, liver or kidney impairment, seizures; children, pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may significantly increase blood pressure. Monitor blood pressure level regularly.
• It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils,etc . If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Most Common:
Nausea, drowsiness, headache, tingling and dry mouth.
• Body as whole : Abdominal cramp or pain, chills, back, chest and neck pain, fatigue and rigid neck.
• Heart: Dilation of blood vessel, palpitations and fast heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach upset, stomach and intestine inflammation and increased thirst.
• Metabolic: Increased sugar and serum creatine phosphokinase level.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle pain.
• Central Nervous System: Dizziness, drowsiness, tremor, weakness, fainting, anxiety, sensory loss, restlessness and shakiness.
• Respiratory: Inflammation of respiratory path and difficulty in breathing,
• Skin : Excessive sweating, itching and rash.
• ENT: Ear pain and ringing in the ear.
• Genitourinary: Painful menstruation.
• Potentially Fatal: Serious heart disease.
Avoid excess dosage.
Oral: Store it at room temperature between 15-30 °C, and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!