IL-2, Interleukin-2, r-serHuIL
Aldesleukin is a cancer-treating drug prescribed for treating advanced kidney cancer or renal cell carcinoma and metastatic skin cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
It is a man-made version of a substance called interleukin-2 which are produced naturally by cells in the body.
Contraindicated in patients who have a history of an abnormal heart stress test or lung function test, heart rate or rhythm, re-treatment in patients who have experienced with drug-related toxicities.
Adults - IV- 600,000 units/kg every 8 h by a 15 min infusion for 14 doses. Repeat regimen after 9 days of rest, the schedule is repeated for another 14 doses, for a maximum of 28 doses per course, as tolerated.
It comes as a powder for injection (diluted with fluid) to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Body as a Whole :
Chills, fever, uneasiness, weakness, swelling of the face, arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, infection, abdominal pain, acidity and abdominal bloating.
• Metabolic : Elevated liver enzymes, low calcium levels in blood, abnormal magnesium levels, weight gain and fluid retention.
• Heart : Low blood pressure and fast/irregular heart rate.
• Central Nervous System : Dilatation of blood vessels, confusion, drowsiness, anxiety, seizures, coma and dizziness.
• Gastrointestinal : Diarrhea, mouth ulcer, nausea, vomit that is bloody or looks like coffee ground, and loss of appetite.
• Respiratory : Respiratory disorder, increased cough, runny nose and difficulty in breathing.
• ENT : Sores in mouth and throat.
• Skin : Rash, itching and skin inflammation.
• Blood : Capillary leak (results in the leakage of proteins out of blood), anemia and decrease in white blood cells.
• Genitourinary : Decreased urination, blood in the stool and black and tarry stools.
Avoid excess dosage.
The solution should be brought to room temperature prior to infusion and used within 48 hours of reconstitution and any unused portion must be discarded as there is no preservative added to it.
Should be stored in a refrigerator at 2 C to 8 C (36 F to 46 F) before and after reconstitution with diluent. Do not freeze.