- Always wash your hair with cool or cold water instead of hot water.
- Use a shampoo most suited to your hair type, that is, depending on whether it is oily or dry.
- Use a conditioner after a shampoo even if your hair is prone to oiliness.
- If you need to use a hair dryer to style your hair, use moderate heat and stop when there is still some moisture in the hair. Use a natural bristle comb or brush to smoothen hair texture. Very hot hair dryers used very frequently make the hair dry and brittle, resulting in a loss of shine and gloss.
- Snipping off split ends every 2 months is important. Even when you want to grow your hair, a trim will help.
- Sleeping on a silk pillow case keeps hair silky and smooth, through all the tossing and turning.
- Cutting back on alcohol, smoking and coffee will improve hair texture.
- What you eat is very important as the shine and gloss depends on a healthy scalp. Including lots of fruits and vegetables in the diet is a good idea.
- Liver is a very good source of zinc, which is good for hair. Vegetarians can make up by adding kidney beans and lentils to their diet.
- Brazil nuts and walnuts are good as also are pecans and cashew nuts. A handful of these nuts can be eaten regularly – the hair will gain texture and bounce.
- Fatty food makes the hair greasy and dull looking, so it is better to avoid it.
- After an illness, the hair becomes very dull and limp; omega 3 supplements can be taken. 2 tablespoons of flaxseed taken regularly will help perk up health - physically as well as with respect to hair gloss.
- To remove product build up and grime from hair, use apple cider vinegar:
- In 5 cups of water, add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- After a shampoo, rinse hair with this vinegar. Repeat once a month.
- Eggs are very good as natural conditioners. Beat 2 eggs and apply on hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap to prevent drips. Leave for 30 minutes and wash hair.
- A banana and avocado mask will make hair look glossy and bouncy. Mix pulp of 1 banana with pulp of 1 avocado and blend. Shampoo hair - comb out tangles with a wide toothed comb. Apply prepared mask on hair and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse hair.
Not everyone is born with the hair type they want, but with a little care and effort, they can have a gorgeous mane.