Switch on the television and watch any channel there are umpteen of them airing shows which have dramatic makeovers and Lo and behold! the duckling is turned into a swan while you watch. Conveniently overlooked are the tucks and lifts worth thousands to achieve this effect.
One can definitely acquire a look thats worth millions with a little bit of hard work and far less money spent.
- Lets start with hair this is the first feature that draws attention. Honestly evaluate your look get a haircut if you feel you want to add some style. Oil, massage, shampoo and condition your hair it makes a difference as the dull oily look is eliminated. Color your hair if needed but instead of a radical change stay within 2 shades of your original hair color as this is easier to maintain.
- Oral hygiene it is of utmost importance to brush before you leave the house and carry a mouth freshener, as bad breath can be a big time put off. Whiten teeth with a salt scrub or use some over-the-counter gels with hydrogen peroxide.
- Get your eyebrows shaped professionally, it will give the eye area a fresh and open look and make you look younger and well groomed. Thicken over-plucked eyebrows with light strokes of an eyebrow pencil. Choose a light shade of brown to avoid the garish effect. Use brown or blue eyeliners instead of black, for a svelte look.
- Before you flutter those lashes use an eyelash curler to give them length and eye liner and mascara to add some body and mystique. Leave the lower lashes alone with just a touch of eye liner. Neutral shades are best for day wear.
- Make use of a lip liner to draw thicker lips or reduce too plump lips. Fill in lipstick with a lip brush. For the day time use softer and natural shades.
- Exfoliate facial skin with a face scrub either homemade or branded it will not make too much of difference. A weekly mask or massage will keep the skin glowing and supple. Rub your face with an ice cube to close pores and tighten skin before using make up. Remember that less is more so dont be heavy handed with a foundation. Lines and flaws show up when makeup is heavy.
- Doing some home work before the occasion is a good idea as you know whether casual or formal wear is needed. Add a few accessories when in doubt - like a silk scarf, a brooch or long ear rings. An underdressed look, brightened with accessories is any day better than an overdressed look.
- Your body language will add or detract from your overall appearance. A designer gown or attractive hairstyle is put to waste if you slump those shoulders. So keep your back straight and your chin up.
- Shoes which are generally overlooked or taken for granted are actually very important to your overall appearance. Choose footwear which is stylish but comfortable. The height of heels should add grace to your walk and not leave you tottering.
- Make sure to take care of small details nails are cleaned, filed and polished, arms and legs waxed and moisturized. Use a deodorant and soft perfume.
- Read the newspaper, so that you can carry on an intelligent conversation with a good sense of humor thrown in. More than good looks attitude and body language speak louder.
Specially for Men
- A little effort would go a long way exercise regularly as loose flab is ugly and will not get you any second glances. One need not have bulging biceps, though a healthy physique will go a long way.
- Change your look try some virtual hair styling and then get a cut which suits your looks, try to do this in a reputed salon with an experienced hair stylist as it does make a difference.
- The scruffy look may be your style trade it for a well groomed one it will take you places.
- A daily bath is a must as obnoxious body odor can repel people, the same goes for bad breath. A woodsy or lemony cologne is attractive.
- Keep your nails clean and trimmed, and use some moisturizer on rough hands and dry face and no it is not feminine to use moisturizers. Apply some natural lip balm if your lips are chapped and dry.
- Wear your formals well pressed and casuals neat.
- Invest in a pair of sun glasses and a cool wrist watch.
Confident attitude and positive body language will do the rest.