Special legal and ethical criteria must be met in cases where the patient is undergoing sterilization and has a physical, psychological, or intellectual disability. Contraindications
1. The patient should make the request herself, be of sound mind, and not act under external duress.
2. During delivery of the baby some women opt for sterilization; however this should be deferred if maternal or infant complications are anticipated.
3. Surgery is contraindicated in patients with active infections like Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
4. The laparoscopic approach is also contraindicated in patients with severe heart or lung problems.
5. Surgery is deferred in patients with suspected pregnancy.