Interstitial Cystitis / Painful Bladder Syndrome - Slideshow
What is Interstitial Cystitis?
An inflammation of the bladder is called cystitis. It is usually caused by a bacterial infection.
Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a chronic condition that causes pain and inflammation in the urinary bladder even without infection.
Most of the patients are women and the average age of onset is 40 years.
Exact cause(s) is unknown. Some of the causes suggested include -
Defect in the bladder epithelium
Unidentified infectious agents
Symptoms of IC are characterized by periods of remission and relapse.
Frequency in urination and urgency to urinate are common symptoms.
Other symptoms include -
Pain in the bladder, lower back, pelvic region
There are no specific tests to diagnose IC.
It usually begins by ruling out other illnesses, such as bladder cancer.
Diagnosis is done by -
Cystoscopy to inspect the bladder
Oral medications include heparinoid drugs, anti histamines, aspirins, ibuprofen
Bladder instillation, also called bladder wash
Surgery, if the patient does not respond to other treatments
Management - Diet
Certain foods aggravate the condition. They include -
Foods with Vit
Management - Other methods
Avoid smoking, as it worsens symptoms
Regular exercises brings symptom relief
Bladder training techniques are useful
Understanding the condition and seeking support groups help to better tackle the condition
You May Also Like
- Video Animation
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Heart Attack
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Mitral Valve Disease and Replacement
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Ventricular Septal Defect
- Active Heart
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Blood Pressure
- Learn How to Count Your Pulse
- Angioplasty - 3D
- How to know if someone is Breathing
- Top Vegetables and Fruits for Healthy Diet
- Foods Inducing Sound Sleep
- How to Handle Insect Bites?
- Your Nails Can Say Alot About Your Health
- Foods to Eat while Pregnant
- Tips to Control Obesity in Children
- Top 10 Low Glycemic Index Foods
- Fashion Trends and Their Health Risks
- Top 8 Natural Supplements for Healthy Hair
- Tips For Pregnant Women