Insulin Injections for Diabetes - Slideshow
Profile of Insulin
Hormone secreted in the islets of Langerhans by the pancreas
Sustainer of glucose in the blood
Fat guarder preventing organs from exhausting energy
Energy saverDrop in insulin production results in Diabetes mellitus or diabetes.
Big Shots of Insulin
Insulin is administered before intake of food.
Short Acting Insulin is meant for light meal such as breakfast and evening meals.
Long Acting Insulin is meant for heavy meal such as lunch and dinner.
Rapid Onset Fast Acting Insulin is followed by immediate consumption of food.
Dosage of insulin depends on the diet of the diabetic.
Insulin & Mealtime
Ideal gap between administering insulin and food consumption is
Half an hour before food intake in case of Short Acting Insulin
One hour before food take in case of Long Acting Insulin
Eat immediately in case of Rapid Onset Fast Acting Insulin
Insulin injection is simplified through :
Insulin Syringes: A single use, disposable plastic syringes with fine needles.
Insulin Pen: A dispenser resembling a pen which contains insulin
Insulin Pumps: A pre-programmed pump worn around the abdomen that administers insulin on time.
Abdomen and thighs are the ideal locations to inject and easy to reach.
Best place to inject insulin is in the area of fatty tissues.
Change the location of the injecting spot.
Self injection is easy to learn.
If you cannot do it yourself make arrangement for a nurse or your relatives to give you an injection.
For humans, by humans
Initially animals were a source for making insulin since it almost matched the human insulin. As some patients exhibited allergies, it was replaced by genetically engineered insulin for human insulin.
You May Also Like
- Video Animation
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Heart Attack
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Mitral Valve Disease and Replacement
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Ventricular Septal Defect
- Active Heart
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Blood Pressure
- Learn How to Count Your Pulse
- Angioplasty - 3D
- How to know if someone is Breathing
- Pregnancy Diabetes Mellitus
- Top Ten Foods to Boost Your Mood
- Foods that Help You Succeed
- Ileostomy Diet - Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid
- Top 10 Superfoods to Fight Asthma
- Eye Allergies
- Top 15 Foods to Avoid For Diabetics
- Control Blood Sugar in 7 Ways
- Top 10 Tips to Increase Bone Strength
- Top 10 Foods to Build Muscle