A dyslexic person has difficulty in verbal skills, abstract reasoning, hand-eye coordination, concentration, perception, memory and social adjustment.
Some of the common symptoms of dyslexia are -
- Difficulty in comprehending
- Difficulty in expression (written or oral)
- Understanding letters phonetically or otherwise
- Difficulty in reading
- Inability to memorize
- Difficulty in spelling and reading (specially with English phonetic as it is a mixture of different languages)
- Difficulty in doing simple mathematical problems
- Difficulty in attending to class instructions, and get distracted too much (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder- ADD/ADHD)
- Difficulty learning any new language
Some children may initially have fewer problems in learning a language in school, but their problems may be aggravated as they learn more intricate parts of the language like grammar, or understanding of textual matter.
Social and Emotional Symptoms -
Dyslexic persons have been observed to be less socially or emotionally mature than their peers. This may cause poor self-image and fewer acceptances by peers.
A dyslexic person may react differently to social situations, because of their social immaturity, causing embarrassment to others.
Later in life when language becomes one important way of expression, a dyslexic person may feel handicapped in establishing emotional bonding and social relationships.
Persons suffering from dyslexia are often inconsistent in their performances. What they can do well today, they have difficulty in repeating it another day. Even if they are making errors in their outputs, the nature of errors may vary each time, confusing both the dyslexic persons and their guides. Hence, often a dyslexic person feels more anxious throughout the day than any other differently-abled person.
Some other emotions most commonly experienced by dyslexic people are anger about themselves and others, depression due to inability to fit to the surroundings, frustration of not being able to perform to their satisfaction etc.