» » Uterine Polyps - Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment

Uterine Polyps / Endometrial Polyps

Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +


Uterine polyps are overgrowths that occur from the inner lining of the uterus.

Uterine polyps are oval or round overgrowths from the inner lining of the uterus called the endometrium. Hence, they are also known as the endometrial polyps. They are attached to the endometrium by a thin stalk or a broad base. They vary in size - from a few millimeters to several centimeters, and also in number from a single to several polyps.

Uterine Polyps / Endometrial Polyps

They are usually benign or non-cancerous but sometimes cause menstrual and fertility problems in affected females.

Although the exact cause of uterine polyps is unknown, hormonal factors are found to play an important role in their development. Uterine polyps are found to grow in response to estrogen circulating in the blood. Estrogen is an important female hormone which causes the endometrium to thicken every month.

Women in the age group between 40 to 50 years are at a greater risk in developing uterine polyps. Other major risk factors include obesity, and tamoxifen therapy, which is a drug used in the treatment of breast cancer.

Some of the most common signs and symptoms of uterine polyps are irregular menstrual bleeding, heavy bleeding during menstrual periods, vaginal spotting or bleeding after menopause or sexual intercourse, and infertility.

Uterine polyps are diagnosed by a gynecologist based on the menstrual history of the patient, a detailed gynecological examination and tests like transvaginal ultrasound, hysterosonography, hysteroscopy and curettage.

Small polyps which occur without any symptoms may resolve on their own without any treatment. Other cases of uterine polyps can be treated with hormonal medications or surgical procedures.

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

You May Also Like

View All