While no one knows the exact cause of uterine cancer it is fairly evident that some people are at higher risk to develop this cancer in comparison to others.What are the factors that increases a person’s chances of developing uterine cancer?
– those with this pre cancerous condition should beware of uterine cancer especially if they have not carried out a hysteroscopy Age
- a woman above the age of 50 has greater chance of developing the cancer compared to younger women Race
- White women are at a higher risk of uterine cancer compared to Black women HRT
–This treatment is carried out to relieve the symptoms of menopause, to check osteoporosis and to prevent stroke. Those undergoing long-term estrogen replacement
, through HRT, without the administration of progesterone are at a higher risk of developing uterine cancer than those who have been given estrogen with progesterone. Obesity
– Obese women are at a greater risk of developing uterine cancer when compared to normal weight women and this could be due to the fact that the level of estrogen, which is directly implicated in uterine cancer, is higher in obese women. Diabetes and Hypertension
- These conditions are also considered to be risk factors for uterine cancer as these lifestyle conditions are related to obesity. Tamoxifen
is a drug that is given to prevent or treat breast cancer ; those taking this drug are at a higher risk of developing cancer, therefore, constant monitoring is necessary.
Others at risk include –
Those with familial colorectal cancer
Nulliparous women (with no children)
Those who reached menarche (first menstruation) very early
Women who experienced late -onset menopause
It is not mandatory that those with the risk factors must develop the cancer. On the other hand those without the risk factors may stand to develop the disease. And no one knows why!