Motion Sickness Prevention
Motion sickness is not a serious condition and it can be easily prevented. By taking simple precautionary measures before and during traveling, motion sickness can be avoided.
1. Always prefer sitting in the front seat of the car and try to look at the horizon.
2. Avoid sitting in the rear seat and do not sit in a seat facing backward.
3. During air travel choose a seat in the front or mid-section of an aircraft for a smoother ride. In the midsection of the flight cabin, the movements are less pronounced than in the front or back section.
4. While traveling on a ship, ask for a cabin on the lower deck and try to keep your eyes fixed on the horizon or land.
5. Distract yourself. Listen to music or use aromatherapy, scent or flavored lozenges.
6. Maintain slow and deep breathing while traveling. Do not panic or be anxious.
7. Avoid fat rich meals before traveling. Consume lighter meals and lots of fruits especially citrus ones like lemon, oranges as it can prevent vomiting sensation.
8. Get some fresh air. Turn the air vents toward your face on planes, trains and cars.
9. Do not read while traveling and never look at a person who is having motion sickness.
10. Ensure that you drink plenty of water before and during travel in order to avoid feelings of sickness. Avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol as they can trigger vomiting sensation.