1. Which doctor should I consult if I am suffering from pneumonia?
You can consult a General Physician.
2. What are the common predisposing causes of pneumonia?
3. What percentage of pneumonia is caused by viruses?
50% are caused by viruses and are less severe than bacteria. Symptoms are milder than bacterial pneumonia like cold, dry cough, headache, fever and weakness.
4. Is there a vaccine to protect from pneumonia?
Yes. There are two vaccines to protect from pneumonia- Prevnar
- It is administered as part of normal infant immunization procedure. PneumoVax
- It is used to prevent pneumonia especially in alcoholics, in patients who have their spleen removed, diabetics and patients' who have asthma and have lot of steroids.
5. Can I continue to smoke if I have pneumonia?
It is advisable to stop smoking since it will further irritate the already swollen and inflamed lung tissue and the tracheo-bronchial tree.